Tuesday, February 5, 2008

lost and found

<

I lost my last post, so I know how some of you feel. I'm sure it was the best piece of writing since Hamlet, but my electronic, eclectic editor disagreed and said, "You need to revise, so I deleted it" So revise/rewrite it is. I should start with personal revision, as we are doing yet another chemo change, new meds and new schedule, last week's scans showed other chemo was letting the cancer grow, and that is not ok...we begin new schdule this thur/fri. yee-ha can't wait. kind of. So here's to looking back at what we write, what we do, how we treat each other then and there and there and then. First rule in publishing and life: save, save, save. When you do somethig right, save it, on your hard drive, in your heart.
Tuesday early, cat and I have our fire sparking and crackling in the black wood stove that keeps all of us safely warmed against nature's nigthly chilling dip. This morning, the glass patio door was opened about 6" and the room temp was headed south. "Who had left it open? inside job? prowler at the pane? or a hint to me that soon I exit this warm loving home and by necessity go to darkness and mystery?" I looked outside and saw no prints to follow, no broken limbs to track, no pathway to comfort my directionless feet. Just the door, open, inviitng cool night to flow into our toasty domcile, cruel night inviting mystery. I closed it quickly, no desire to track any mystery. Quickly, I build a hot fire, shoving log after log into the box. The fire helps. No mystery there, just a close watching to maintain its giving warmth and well prepared stacks of chopped woods- kindiling spruce, juniper, pine and oak. It is like the spirit fire inside me, with a seemingly endless supply of friends and family and beauty to keep me glowing, stoked by sincere caring lovers. Both fires comfort me. The outside fire feeds me; my skin, thin over bone, chilled, wrinkled and gooose bumped, gathers the heat and clasps it to bone and thin muscle. The same fire that heats our house, will later today warm our daylight conversations and keep them relaxed and cozy. The fire inside will warm me when pain chills my spirt, when worry fogs my insight, when fear of darknesses mystery shakes my belly and spine. This fire inside clasps me to memory and details of childhood days in bright carefree play with my large family, laughing at dad's funny faces; yelping and sprawling down grey wooden stairs to the beach fronting a serene, blue green tidal pool; pushing and shoving each other to get a toy, a pair of shoes, some attention. The fire inside grabs me by the shoulders of memory and turns me back to motorcyles, collge concerts, Sierra backpacking, unexplored canyons and unreliable cars, when fresh pizza, cold beer and dancing all night defined my world and left no time to worry of search for mystery. As a husband and father the fire inside blazed into a firestorm of pure love and an absolute need to protect our brilliant glowing children full of mystery and endless questions I could, and often did, answer four different ways. "Why is the sky blue, Dad?" "Crayons and giant markers," I'd say, or "it's an overhead ocean, and that's why it rains sometimes because the ocean has little tiny holes in in called stars, and the water leaks out and creates the lakes and oceans we like to fish in." Can you believe it? Wes? Mandy? Peggy? Can anyone believe me? I believe the fire inside answers these mysteries, resolves the quesions for me - who, why, what of mystery, beyond the open door, in the trackless night, through jungled dreams and the pathless future. I want to keep both fires blazing. Thanks to all who keep me supplied with fuel for both. Love, laughter, marcus



14 comments:

Jeannette Walker said...

Hi Marcus
Sue sent your blog address to a
'69er classmate who passed it on and I decided to read it today. I have been blessed or have stuck my head in the sand when it comes to dealing with a life threatening illnes and mortality. The Webster City Class of '69 has lost 4 classmates in the last 4 years and countless older people that I have known have left us. I am very sorry for your condition and wanted you know that your writings are very beautiful and your family is fortunate to have those forever. Since I have never had to deal with the lose of someone close, your writings have given me some in insight as to what to say, do,and feel. I have always been afraid of saying the wrong thing so I usually don't say anything. You seem so open about your pain and thoughts. I am inspired and intrigued by your journey. I don't know the prognosis of your cancer but know that I am thinking and praying for you. Tell Peg "Hello".
Jeannette Walker
Classmate of Peg's

Unknown said...

Good Morning Pink Palace Prince:

It's always a treat to pop out to the cave on the cool mornings and open a new blog entry..Hoping Emylou made it out and she's ready for a boat trip (or at least a boat drink!)

And tell Buckwheat "ser todo ojo" next time you leave that back door open..


And I'm quite impressed, that someone decided to declare Mandy's birhtday: SUPER TUESDAY....



---- HAPPY BIRTHDAY MANDY ----


Have a Super Day Bro: Chas

Sue said...

Ok...don't laugh at me...or do...I tried to post 60 billion times with different passwords...what does that say about me, I have so many passwords...just what does that get me into? I think that the only password I knew before I was 40 was abra ka dabra!
Anyhoo, good afternoon from MN. Grey and cloudy. Ed has gone to Mankato (like little house on the prairie) not in a covered wagon, but in an SUV, to help Joe rent a house for next year. They have decided dorm life is not so great, shower shoes, bunk beds, hot rooms, no room, smelly smells, shared showers and no dogs. So off on another adventure. College, I keep telling him, college is sooooo fun. Of course, good grades and an education are also so wonderful. He is into film and philosophy and has a MN cynicism, so I told him to be a film critic. All the free movies you could watch, sounds great.
We are looking forward to the adventure to Cedar Rapids, all my family will be there, lots of strong boys to lug stuff around. Well, since I am on the County nickel I had better get back to work. So great to read your writings. Fellow English major, me, wishes I had the gift.
You remain in my daily prayers and in my constant thoughts,
Sue

Sue said...

Hey Mandy, Fat Tuesday for a birthday. Lucky you!

Alena said...

It's Mandy's birthday. And what an event a birth is! That sweaty, tearful scream that accompanies us all on our first adventure into this world. We enter glistening and bloody, all bright-eyed potential, our only baggage the DNA that will define us, with soft skulls fit for growing brains. And how will we exit? With a similar scream, with a withering cry? But more importantly how will we face what comes in between? The bright unknown of a new day followed by a dark, dense night. What are we afraid of? The things that go bump in the night, or the night itself?

Who knows, I'm still learning how to face all of the things that come in between. Learning how to accept being blindsided- by the good and the bad. But I'm learning. And having time to learn, what feels like all the time in the world, is a luxury I am trying my hardest to always appreciate.

I'll see you for spring break, and Wes even sooner. I look forward to it. And I think we're going to drive, just way more affordable and in some ways more relaxing.

We love you. Way mucho.

Alena

Unknown said...

Wow, musings before 5:00 AM. Beautiful. I want you to know we are all sending loving thoughts to circle you. There's a fury of activity in eastern and central Iowa, emails, phone calls, planning the "Marcus Fuhrman Benefit Concert/Love Fest". Dixie's husband, Steve, is writing the press release. We need a current pic of Waubeek Trackers as we are o so salt and pepper silver and glad to come together to send you Midwest love vibes. You are sooo loved. You are not ever alone:)

More later, as this girl needs sleep.

love,
Iowa Patty

Unknown said...

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MANDY MAE!!! hugs from Auntie Patty

Johna said...

Hey Marcus
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sounds to me like your spirit is healthy! Hugs to you and Peggy. Happy B-day Mandy!
Johna

Elaine Gardiner said...

Hi Marcus, You certainly paint amazing pictures with your words! You have such a writer's gift. I've enjoyed the photo pictures too. Keep the sunrises glowing and the fires burning. Prayers continue. Love from SLO, Elaine Gardiner

Jules said...

I don't think you have a computer with you down in Flag tonight so you won't get this post until later, but it's late here, 10:49 which means 11:49 for you there in AZ...and in just 11 minutes your "birth" day comes to us all. So, from me here in AG I'm singing to you even though I hope you're sound asleep and can sleep fully through the night. Candles of hope are lit in my heart and I won't be blowing these out at all. We'll never give up one ounce of hope that you'll have so many more sunrises there in Big Water. So, remember all the happy birthday wishes we've all shared over the years and keep 'em close to your heart. I love you... always have and always will.
Your big sistah,
Julie
OOOh, just heard the cuckoo clock ringing 11 chimes, so that must be 12 for you. Guess I can really sing out to you...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAREST MARK, MARCUS, MARKIE BABY, MOKIE, MM...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
Kisses and hugs,
J

Ali said...

Well, I didn't realize your birthday was so close to Mandy's. I love finding out all these little things about you, reading your descriptions of solitary sunrises and adventures one after another with family and friends. I feel so fortunate to have you and your family as a part of my life. I've been thinking about a posting on Mandy's myspace in which she urged, "when you pray, move your feet". Well, Bill and I quit smoking (again) this morning. Praying doesn't come easily for us, the feet-moving type or otherwise, but we are trying our best, and thinking of you always. Love, and happy birthday wishes to you and Mandy both.

Alison

Lori said...

What an excellent piece, Marcus. Your blogs are a tremendous testimony to the power of the written word. You are truly talented in the way you convey your feelings with all the vivid imagery and metapors. I enjoy going back and reading all of your blogs, when Everett is sleeping in my arms and I'm at the computer. I hope to teach him all about words. Especially L O V E. That's what it's all about.
We love you!!
The Rommels

Jules said...

Sunday afternoon,Marcus, I'm planting those flowers in the front yard but can't get you off my mind. If my thoughts could have the power to make you feel better in any way, I'd be so happy. But all I can do is tell you how much I love you and with every flower I put in the garden there's a wish for you. Remember the quotation I have in the garden room? It's by Eleanor Roosevelt: Where flowers bloom so does hope. So, you know there's a garden of hope here in AG and I'm wishing you were here to see it and close enough that I could give you a hug. Missed our talk this morning...maybe tomorrow.
Loing you,
Julie
PS...anything show up at the Post Office yet?

ksev said...

Greetings Marcus. Pam Rodewald sent a staff email on to us retirees. It's always sobering to hear such news from "nowhere." I have to say I didn't know you had such a poetic bent although I knew the intelligence was there. One of my former students and current gastroenterologist had advanced bladder cancer 15 years ago. He went to Mayo and had radioactive pellets embedded in his bladder and surrounding tissue. At that time it was an untested procedure, but he has survived when all hope was seemingly lost. The next year his son developed a life threatening tumor which was eliminated as well. I know every case is different and I know that you are stronger than most when self-survival is at hand. I wish only the best for you and your family. Your photographs are beautiful as well. I'm happy that you are out of Iowa and in some locale as befitting you. I find your observations to be compelling and look forward to reading more. BTW, the darkrooms are long gone and the "third book" (done in first two quarters with no supplement) is all done on line. John McBride has proven even more successful at working the administration for digital SLR's and needed equipment than you were. And that's saying a lot. Take care Marcus and keep writing.