Thursday, March 20, 2008

last of the benefits

dark, dark, dark outside,fire is glowing and comfy. cat is somewhere underfoot, an occasional brush by and quiet meow letting me know he's important and worthy of notice. i think we're all that way a little, being around and making noise to be noticed and attended to. i know i am, and i have beeen noticed lately.
last week we had our 2nd and 3rd benefits. thursday last, i walked into page middle school cafeteria and found the room half full of families and friends either gathering or serving large plates of spagetti, garlic bread, heaps of salad and desert and beverages. so much food, so many friends, so much attention being paid to Peggy and me. Peggy, Mandy and I arrived with two of my brothers, Kurt and Charlie who were equally amazed to watch the line of page people continue to fill the room and their plates with yummy dinners. even the servers and helpers and volunteers must have been surprized as they smiled and struggled to keep up with hot food for hundreds. Fantstic night, I wandered about the room and tables, visitng and sharing memories with dozens of parents and former students and staff showing off my latest hair style (none) and accepting best wishes and hopes for better health. it's funny but just being at the fundraiser and sharing the caring made me physcially feel better, and recharged my batteries. thanks to so many: robin, roxie, paul and his spagetti bowl crew, jk, paula, and shelly, teona with kaysee and the dessert department, ticket takers, lake view and high school folks, even real pros - kitchen gals1, the invisible helpers in the back kitchen and all who made the evening both possible and a success. i love you each and all and the food was delicious.

We spent the next day getting ready and traveling to the canyon to meet more family and friends for party #3. What a party it was. went by the community building early to check out the room and holymoly, ligths being strung around the room, tables set and decorated with linen and st. patrick's day deco, a long line of tables holding donated goodies, more tables of donations in the big room, tables of desert, acres of salad and dozens of pizzas being delivered, chips and salsa along with adult beverages and drinks for kids like me. Best of all was the band, Exit 64, setting up on stage. great music gear and a Light show. Julie and Paul arrived from flight from Cali. on friday night and Wes and Alena, arrived after marathon drive from Minn. sat. afternoon. So now we are 4 siblings and all 3 of our loving kids; Mandy, with Nicci and kendra (SB girls) never would miss a party like this.
Impressive.
Whoa, i just glanced up and i see the brightest red glowing sunrise above Navajo Mountain to the east of our house, a wide flat vermillion layer of ocean clouds covers all the eastern sky, from overhead to the horizon. I feel like I want to climb into those clouds suck in their warmth and traverse the world with them for the rest of the day, they look so inviting. I can see my body streched out and relaxed as the wind that shapes their beauty. as I covered the globe I'd cry out wake up world, time to warm up and watch beauty greet your morning. Then I'd fall back onto the cloud bed,close my eyes, breath deeply and sleep like a forgotten sunrise, ignorant of my cancer and the pains, tensions, medications, chemos, doctors, and hundreds of other details that have become a part of our lives. See, I'd have Peggy there beside me as wel
l.

Impressive. back to party at the canyon- got there and met hundreds of frieds. some we've knnow for dozens of years. i can only begin to mention a few ringleaders: Terry the video master, dan and eddie the ticket masters, bob and laura who can and do anything, kay and ted b, tommy t, shelly, madman, and gracie, sheila and guy, dave the food guy and his xanterra gang, kevin, judy queen of deserts, pete and becky with cayla, beth, eric and sue, greens-room at squire used - and the Phillps did a house swap with the Fuhrmans; them in San Luis Obispo area.
Thank you all the special guests like old and new neighbors - old being booths and new being caorl a. So many other special guests like lori and scott, keith and nancy, bob s, wendy, stacy,nora, mike,jackie,sissy and tom, chuck, and on and on and on......

so food and drink was served, people danced, i danced, raffle was held, i spoke, i cried, danced some more with precious peggy-oh, and visited, talked and gabbed with hundreds of friends who care about us. what a night. Highlight? tooo mannnnnnny. one being the first "sunrise" song. i laughed and cried when wes picked up a guitar and played some of my fav. notes in the blues world. We stayed late, danced too hard with family and friends, and laughed till we ran out of breath and energy. was A party. thanks to all who gave us such a great time.
love and laughter, marcus

24 comments:

MsRolewski said...

Can only smile when reading this. And, send some warm desert love :) Rattlers should be out soon...Would really see some dancing then!
Cindy

Sue said...

Hey there you guys...
sounds like you had a good benefit week...just wanted to tell you again how moving the Iowa benefit was...I was so glad to see Patty and the bands...I was so proud of her.
We had a good trip home and will be glad when we are settled in Iowa. Packing and more packing. Ed is painting the bathroom downstairs and doing things we should have done long ago. Hopefully the housing market will hang on through the summer.
I was laughing with a friend while telling her "who you were." I told her that this was my cousin who took me places I never would have gone on my own, literally!...Playmor ballroom, riding in a convertible with a tuna cake, my first puff of tobacco, first drink ( not sure about that one, but I will give you the credit, I think Jacky was involved, too), first sneak out with the boyfriend, (Aunt Ethel letting us have a slumber party outside with tents, seeing her under the porch light calling "girls, time to get to sleep" giggle, giggle and on and on. I would have hoped that you never would be going through what you are both going through, but then there is Marcus...what a guy...
Well, all my bosses are in a meeting, but before Big Brother finds me out I had better quit.
Love you lots,
Your cousin from England, Heather Remmington (remember?)

Alena said...

Your cloudbed reminds me of this song, the lyrics are by the late, great Woody Guthrie.

"I'd like to lay my heavy head tonight on a bed of California Stars.
I'd like to lay my weary bones tonight on a bed of California Stars.

I'd like to feel,
your hand touching mine
and tell me why,
I must keep working on.

Yes I'd give my life
just to lay my head tonight
on a bed of California stars.

I'd like to dream
my troubles all away
on a bed of California stars.

Jump up on my starbed
make another day
underneath my California stars.

They hang like grapes
on vines that shine
and fill the lover's glass
like friendly wine

So I'd give this world
just to dream a dream with you
on our bed of California stars.

Yes I'd give this world
just to dream a dream with you
on our bed of California stars."

So there you have it. I can think of Julie and PK out on their deck looking up at California stars. And us here looking at the Utah stars. And on our way home looking at the Kansas :( and Missouri :( stars. Ah well, they're the same in lots of places, a comfort wherever life finds you.

Love you guys,
Alena

Mandy said...

Heeeeeeey Dad & Mom & Brian (or is it Bryan?? We never asked him),
I am back at the GC, it's a little windy but sunny. Orientation to Xannarama was how I spent my day. I'm ready to get to work! I met Dennis Reason today, you wre his son's FAVORITE teacher :) You two are pretty much famous around these parts, so I am an instant hit! Thanks. It was great to hear you put Wes to work in the backyard (and yourself too, I imagine!). Don't listen to anything Wes says, he LOVES to move rocks for his dad.
Call me on Bob and Laura's home phone when you get a chance tonight. I'll see you ALL tomorrow... miss you.
LOVE,
Mandy

Mandy said...

PS HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING! Bouncy, huh?

Nic Nic said...

Best party of the year...so glad I was able to be a part of it and spend such an amazing weekend with Fuhrman's and friends. Your family truly is something special and rare.

-Nicci

Unknown said...

I am glad the benefits were a smash! I wish we could have taped the Iowa concert to send you on DVD. But at least we have a CD set of the shindig, including Peg and Mary's words. I'll mail you a set.

Marcus, that being surrounded by so much love momentarily lifted you away from the pain, is priceless. Remember you are rocked in the arms of so many. Including we in the northern states:)

Must get back to cleaning. My good friend, Oscar, comes next weekend for a week.

love!
Patty

Jules said...

Hi My Marcus,
Glad to hear you have some fun company for the next couple of days. Sure wish I could send up some "make you feel better" pills. You know if I had some, I would!!! But going out on the boat lifts your spirits so give it a go again tomorrow.
yes, we've had some mighty gorgeous California stars blinking away here in AG. Nothing better than sleeping under a full moon and nothin but stars all around. let's plan a camping trip, you'd love these pretty nights. Sure hope you get over to the post office to get the photos from the Canyon Benefit. What A party!!!!! Love and hugs from here to you,
Julie

Unknown said...

Hey Marcus!

Just finished your latest entry. I look forward to reading each of your posts. Your benefits sounded wonderful! It doesn't surprise me that you would have so much support. You & Peggy just seem to have that kind of effect on people.

The family O is doing well.
Cathy & I just returned from a cruise of the Baja penisula for our 30th. I was able to experience some of those Western sunrises/sunsets you describe so poetically. We met some whales, ate way too much & had a few cervazas. A good trip!
Steve started his track season & is blanketing the state with applications, looking for that high paying public school teaching job. Carrie is in the DM Playhouse production of "Sarah, Plain & Tall". She plays Sarah's sister-in-law as Carrie is neither plain nor tall. We will be moving Carrie back to a downtown apartment this weekend as well.
Emily is adjusting to life at UNI.
She has already given us a couple of scares: A mishap with a semi on icy roads & a gun incident on campus. Fortunately she came thru both unharmed.
Please know that you guys are in our prayers. Keep up with your inspirational blogging!
--- Gregg-O

Jules said...

hi Marcus,
Just want to tell you good morning and that I send you love as you look out at Navajo Mountain this morning. I'm so excited to hear that we'll have Wes & Alena here in CA this summer. That's such great news! I know you'll be feeling much better with new blood this Friday... I'll be with you in spirit every inch of the way. Loving you from hereakways and forever, your big sistah...
Jules

Jules said...

oops ..... That's " always and forever" if you couldn't figure out what I was trying to say. Of looks a little weird. OK love from the stars of California and me. ....
Julie

Marcus said...

Just a quick update. Hopefully Marcus will feel renewed energy after his blood transfusion on Friday. he has been horizontal far too much and longs to visit his garage for more than a few minutes. I'll encourage him to post a new blog and if he's not up to it, I'll do so soon.
Love and appreciation for all of you, Peggy

Jules said...

Hi Peggy-O and Marcus Man,
Wishing you safe travels today down to Flag. You know I'm sending love across the miles as you go. Get some of that new blood, bro, and you'll be up and about that beautiful homestead of yours soon.I planted more of those flowers of hope in my gardens today. There are now hundreds of little blossoms wishing you strength and positive energies all over my yard. I'll help you get your garden blooming next time we're out for a visit. Thinking about you always and huge hugs to Mary and Mike.
I love you, Marcus,
Julie

Ryherd said...

Hey Marcus and Peggy,
Snowy March day here in WC, the kind that accumulates deep quickly, but will probably be vanished tomorrow. Thunder snow shower is the prediction for the day. Just sending you support as you again go throught treatments. Strenghten each others spirits. Let tomorrow wait, live today. Family news: Lee's blog tells of the farmer's strike in Argentina and how he got trapped in traffic jam in support of the farmers. Did Amanda tell you lots of Peru adventures? We are planning to see Grant (3rd son) in Belgium in May. He has been a Rotary Exchange student since August there and learning the French language for life skill. We will learn first hand the euros value. (The trip to see him is priceless!) Mark(oldest) is looking for a fulltime microbiology job. I should have him check in Flagstaff since he is free to relocate. Jan is finding middle school track a challenge, especially in the snow. I see her more as the shot put than the sprinter. Any track history/advice from you? Me, I'm still eating on my chocolate eggs and Dan is busy with school board negotiation meetings. Your in our thoughts and prayers!! Donna

Miss Lisa S. said...

Hi Marcus Turkey!
Thinking of your often. Sending some San Francisco love and fog your way.

Smiles and hugs,
Lisa

Jules said...

Just me thinking about you. Miss our calls. missing your voice.
Love you always,
Julie

Unknown said...

Marcus and Peg,

Must work today but wanted to "peep" in with a tiny howdy. I wish I was there with you all and Mary and Mike visiting! Outta of here SWOOOSH! More later and later and later...

love
Patty

Sue said...

It is a blizzard here today! No, really-a winter storm warning, 6-8 inches! As I look out the window it looks like December! Very beautiful, and don't tell anyone here I said that...
Drove down to Mankato to visit Joe yesterday. It was Ed's birthday so we went out for lunch and then to Best Buy. (Where else would a guy want to go for his birthday) I bought Ed a Nintendo DS and the game Brain Age...supposed to help your old brain function better. Hope it works! I will have to start playing. They only had pink left so when he is playing, it looks like he is holding a Mary Kay compact. We had the realtor come on Saturday and she will come back tomorrow and help up set a price. Left a long list for Ed to start on.
How did the tranfusion go? Hope that it gave you new strength. How long do Mary and Mike get to stay? You are all in my thoughts and prayers daily! I send you love and all the good vibrations that can travel through a blog.
Love,
Sue

Alena said...

It is snowy today. Ugh, it's beautiful but sort of a terrible beauty. I think I convince myself it's beautiful just to protect my brain from the desperation that starts to set in at the end of an MN winter when it's really supposed to be spring.

Wes and I went to eat at Big Bowl last night, the place that we all ate a few nights before the wedding. It reminded me of that night, a nice warm feeling that I'll try my hardest to carry with me as I trudge through the snow today.

Hopefully we're almost done with MN winters!

Miss and love you all.

Alena

Mandy said...

Hi!!! I have two days off in a row (big deal) next week so I'm coming to see ya! Miss you. It is nice to have a social life though. LOVE YOU.

Paul and Tam said...

Thinkin' of ya'll during this rough patch. Know that Mary and Mike are there to raise your spirits. Hope the new blood is lifting them as well! We're thinking of you here in the heartland.

Paul and Tam said...

Thinkin' of ya'll during this rough patch. Know that Mary and Mike are there to raise your spirits. Hope the new blood is lifting them as well! We're thinking of you here in the heartland.
Paul and Tam

Em said...

Marcus, Pegasus and Mandy Mae,
We had such a good time with you last week!
Thanks for having us, Lars really enjoyed getting to know his family from Utah way.
I really enjoyed driving the boat, a first for this 50 year sister. Hard to believe, but I have never been asked to or given the opportunity. It was so beautiful on the lake.
Mandy took us to the secret pretroglyphs in the canyonm a true treat! We hung out at the bar with her during work too. Best bartender/waitress at the canyon.
The ATV ride was quite an adventure, one I probably won't be seeking anytime soon. My arms are so sore still! It was too bad Lars wasn't up to it. he would have enjoyed it, Steve seemed to have more fun than I did. The good news is I did not tip over my ATV.
The guys loved visiting your neck of the desert and we all loved seeing you...
What ya doin' in May?
Or our place next time.
PS Thanks for allowing Izzy to visit, she loved the trip,I do have incriminating photos of Mandy enjoying Izzy too.
Em

Alena said...

"If by eternity is understood not eternal temporal duration, but timelessness, then he lives eternally who lives in the present." Ludwig Wittgenstein.

Thanks for teaching me how to live in the present moment, no one does it better than you.

Love you,
Alena