Monday, January 21, 2008

On Martin's Monday

tThe fire burns fresh pine and I sit farther away from the windows this morning. Brian-cat is over on the couch, a grey clump of fur and purr. I watch the fire grow and spread across the wood stove and hear its demanding crackle and snap- come to me to burn and turn to ash. I hear that, I'm here. Curious, the process that consumes gives light and warmth. This mornings's light is slowly arcing from blue black horizon through a faded levi-blue and back to black space above, where a fat moon falls to the northwest. Like my cancer,I can't see the moon from here, only the effects it casts on desert around, the sage, the trees i've planted, the driveway of grey white gravel. A few minutes pass; I make toast and eat it slowly, letting my body accept nurishment wishing/wanting/needing to regain the weight and muscle i've lost to cancer. Best to avoid nasuea. Cancer is one hell of a diet and one that won't show up on late night paid programming. What would they say? "Last diet you'll ever need?"or who could they use? terminal testimonials, dying dialogues, whispers from the hospice hotels? Forget the disease, and watch the earth wake up. Best to eat my toast slowly and watch the sun rise.
The color has shifted and is banded from the blue to a sage greeen and then of course into rosy fingered dawn. The cat is playful; he jumps from chair to chair like the teenager he is, catching himself and landing on at least three paws. I feel fair and normal this am, slept till six without interruption, little pain, little awareness of the chemo, which hurts so good, that I took in on Friday. So this dawn pomises to be a full, active: chop woods, clean truck, go down and work on the boat at the marina. A promise anticipated is more likely to happen, so I anticipate an active day.
Updates: Judy and Dave spent the weekend, I love having good friends and good food around, thanks to the cooks, mahi on friday, and shrimp pasta saturday, delicious soup on sunday. Ron, a friend of Mandy's, drove up from Tucson to visit (thanks for the audio video help, do-Ron-ron) and later Maddox brought his family out yesterday after lunch to watch football, track Gracie's walking lessons and to take me for a walk. Maddox and I treked up thru the sandy fields to our near/dear neightbors Jim and Vicki, Mad-man was most impressed, (Is that a real gun, Jim?) with the "rabbit gun" Jim showed him. On the way back down to our house, he posed a ominous threat to invisible rabbits, must of nailed 200 of them in 50 yards.
So much else to tell, Em, I predicted that Lars would get home this weekand get better tuite suite. A prediction is like a promise isn't it?
So much,so many to be thanked: thank you to all the care givers in Flag at the Cancer center, to my bro Chas, five days a week at least on the hotline, KJ, glad Florida was warm, Pk louis, get those carbs back on and send a video, Jules, you're amazing, thinking of you. And once again, thanks to Kelsos and Phillips for easy lodging and funny visitor's guide (Kelsos).
So much more to plan, took the van in for a new tranny, get it back and we'll be mobile, wanna-be hippies again, planning trips and taking them.
Tanner thank you majorly for the upload and posts to Wayne's words, make yo daddy smile and remember the best part of growing you up. I love you.
Of course more love, kisses, more love, kisses and more hugs to Peggy and Mandy for all the daily details that I need help with, you are appreciated beyond words. "Pills, diet, water...small important words that you help me with, and provide the promise that is today...love and laughter to all, Marcus

ps, someone wanted our address: Box 410119, Big Water, Ut 84741-2119

9 comments:

Jules said...

Whoa, I'm the first for a post on this Martin Monday. You so tell the tale, Marcus, of life. Lived fully, and enjoying the promise of every new day. So hard to remember those long gone years of Martin and John and Bobby too. Were we really so young and hopeful? Just beginning our lives; you with the long frizzy hair, Pk and me setting up home in Shell Beach with you there with a hammer and always the laughter and jokes. Our lives have been so entwined and now I have our phone calls to spend air time with you till I catch that Allegiant flight back out to see you. Probably will be sending Pk out before me to help get that Mandy Casa finished. But I won't be far behind. You are so loved by this big sister, Marcus. Let's keep makin' our memories, watching those sunrises, and getting you stronger. You sounded so good on the phone this manana...and just 2 weeks ago you were out there in the blue Pacific going after Senor Roostertail.
Loving you from cloudy but not yet rainy AG,
Julie

Anonymous said...

i don't know why i can never remember i

Anonymous said...

Well I'll be dog gone! Here I write this lovely little tale and go to publish, and I loose it. Then I start to write over and it post what I really don't want to list. Oh well, guess I'll try again.
Florida was warm bro, warmer than Sayulita but not as much fun. Let me know when you all want to do another warm weather adventure. I am getting into this travel stuff. Other than the small detail that you have to pay for these trips, it sure has been fun. Maybe we can do a spring break camping trip to one of them canyons you have down there. Or maybe a trip up the lake for a little fishing. What ever you want to do, count me in.
Glad to hear your feeling good.
Can't wait see you again.
Lots upon Lots of love from the Cold, but not Minnesota Cold Zone.
Love
Kj and Company - Oh, Ali Belly made it home safe and sound. Have 5days together before she joins Mia, Alenna & Wes in the Really Cold Zone.

Mandy said...

Yes, I like the idea of these warm weather gettttaawayzzz too! I'd much rather take part in the El Gordo Club than the RCZ (Really Cold Zone as KJ put it)! Thanks for coming to my play, it was nice to make eye contact and remember all of the times you've been in the audience supporting me. Who knew we'd end up on the Navajo reservation? I guess we never know where we'll end up, but we always know where we are and right now there is nowhere I'd rather be!
Let's have a fire tonight out in my villa de aguita grandita and rock out with the new speakers! THANKS AGAIN UNCLE CHUNK!
xoxo
Mandy

Unknown said...

Hey Dude:

Happy Tuesday ! And all that good stuff...
You know you're in our prayers @ our Suppertime get together... And I guess it's rubbing off on at least one of the kid's.. Molly just got back from Catechism Class, hops in the truck and tells me this:

" Today in bible class my teacher asked everybody to say what they would have if they could have anything...a lot of people said stuff like a nintendo DS or a cell phone but i asked for the best thing ever...for my uncle not to have cancer." -Molly

I'm thinking she's got a wonderful life coming her way... A brother can't have too many prayers coming his way... Love ya Marcus: Chas

Melanie Ann said...

You're an amazing person. It's weird. Just hearing from you every so often makes me appreciate the bitterly cold air seeping through my jacket and nipping on my bones as the sun rises on my ice-scraper doing its thing on my front windshield. Something so uncomfortable can also hold a very strong beauty, I guess. I like the solitude I get from those crisp, breath-taking 10 minutes I spend outside every morning. I'm doing such a common thing, so insignificant and tedious; but thanks to your insights, I tilt my head a little over my right shoulder and see that sun piercing over our backyard fence, and suddenly, it's not so bitterly cold outside and my task is not so tedious.

Thank you man, really.

You're always on my mind and will always be held in the highest regard and upmost respect in my heart.

Admirably,
Mello

Talker Family said...

Well my lovely Marcusman...now I know why Maddox has been begging me for a "real" gun...hmmmm...it's aaaaallllll coming into focus. I love it that you keep our life crazy and happy. You mean the world to Mad and us. Love you, Shelly

Alena said...

It's weird to hear both sides of an illness, to read your supremely human experiences after my 8 hour lectures about advanced arterial blood gas interpretation and EKG analysis. strange what it takes to make a person "better." It's important not to get lost in all these beeping machines with bright LCD displays; the constantly humming pumps, pushing medicine into waiting veins; harried med. students with their white coat pockets stuffed full of flashing pagers, pocket size PDRs, and PDAS they pray will have the answers to the questions asked by their foot-tapping attendings; 12 hour shift nurses with their hands tangled in IV tubing.... Important not to forget the importance of toast, sunrises, wood chopping, and the company of children when prescribing aprepitant, prochlorperazine, and zolpidem.

Your writing is better than one of my nursing textbooks.

I also like reading all your comments. Julie talking about being young and hopeful, facing nothing but future and potential. That's where I'm at, strange to think about the opposite ends of a life. School will be over in 4 months. And then as they say it's "olly olly oxen free!!" (or alle alle alle sind frei for the Deutsche Leute among us) It's exciting, being nothing but future. Scary at the same time, staring down an unknown road.

I'll see you at Spring Break. If I haven't been bound with IV tubing and gagged with gauze 2x2's by the children at my clinical immersion by then. Miss you and love you guys. Thanks for writing and giving me a chance to write back. Feels good to flex muscles that don't get much exercise in nursing school.

Alena

Unknown said...

Why does this always happen to me. I write a wonderful response and then I lose it-due to having two gmail accounts. Technology is just not kind to me. However I will send my love and am glad you had a great Martin Day. I did too just relaxin at home. Love you, and am looking forward to going out on the boat soon with you. Normie