Saturday, December 8, 2007

back to normal?








of course NORMAL does not exist but we all share it and know people who are not.

I am watching, feeling the sun rise as it normally does, far to the south, peeking out behind this latest line of grey storm clouds. This a.m. it's cat and I, awake two hours and tackled the usual normal sat. chores: straighten up the front room, build warming fire, wash dishes from Fri. night popcorn and ice cream, watched cat play with window blind cords, ground and brewed fresh coffee, put stuff away. Peggy's still knocked out, not normal, sleeeeeeeeeeeeeping and that's a great thing, because the stress on me is different than my closest,intimate care-givers. I deal with my immediate condition/s and know and am able to act on pain, unusual changes in my systems. I can accept and feel directly the treatments and chemo, but Peggy, and Mandy as well, are a step away, less defined and less deliberate. I'll bet it must be more uncertain for them and all the others: wes/alena, jules/pk, ct, dan-oh/tt shell/tom and more people than I could ever list here; this disease is more uncertain and, thus for all of you, more difficult to manage or keep a grip on. Me, I just get to be the disease, and I think it's harder to watch than participate directly. I am lucky to have such wonderful women with me now; so how do I rate and why do I deserve them? How? Easy, I just chose well 27+ years ago and found a mate, a partner far beyond normal. Which, naturally leads to children of the same ilk.

Went to Flag for treatment, counts were low, so got my BOOOSTER meds and drove home to a wet, windy homestead. I've felt much better last few days, digestion is starting to jibe and there is so much to be said for a NORMAL digestive tract...think of your metabolism as ideal traffic flow where you drive everyday, no long jams, bumper to bumper, stop and go; and no racing speedsters in a hurry to get through. Traffic here in s. utah is occasional and easy to get used to, just the way my metabolism wants to be...so much to be said for being normal.
Hey you should all know about Mia-pa-dia, cousin/niece from colo. (Thanks for the hook up, Normie, your reward is coming soon) Mia stayed an extra week and helped with all kinds of tasks, helped lay a few tiles, mixed and put down grout,and best of all, chopped loads of kindling for our nightly fires, check out the pix, her greatest success, however, was the the chocolate pie from scratch (the 2nd one)simply delicious and tasting better than normal.
I dropped by the high school to see and say hi to staff, was a tender moment, I do miss teaching, especially after I watched Nutcracker with all the local kids. I felt sadness, sadness, sadness, as I took in all the beauty around me, around us all: a classical piece of music, young people in fantastic costumes, dancing a ballet, the stage and settings of drama and how plays have always had power to move and refresh what is best in us. I was sad for the pleasures that have been mine since college, the community theatre in Iowa, helping with the student theatre groups and of course, helping high school kids perform awesome renditions of Romeo and Juliet; guess I felt sad just remembering the power of immortality in all that stuff that Shakespeare left us. So I felt sad, but it' weird, I still found myself smiling through the bittersweet beauty in all our lives, but hey, that's normal isn't it?

love to all, marcus

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, Mark, you're just like the Rubberband Man of the English Language:
"Oh, Lord, this dude is outta sight,
Everything he writes
Seems to come out right"
"How much of this stuff do he think we can stand
So much rhythm, grace and debonair from one man"
"I was so surprised, I was hypnotized
By the words this cat's puttin' down"......... Blog It:Write On:
Love ya & cann't wait to see ya - Like SOOOOOOOON.. Charley

Unknown said...

Hey Marcus, You are the best writer I know.. of course my third graders are catching up...very slowly as you well know...listening to some of their prose. I have had a productive day and feel energized by the idea of our upcoming trip..it has been raining here all day, off and on, but I still plan on going hiking in the morning. I am glad Brian is adjusting. It was great to see his picture on the blog. He is awesome. Love you, Normie

Anonymous said...

Markie Baby, glad you enjoyed Mia's company. She's a special kid. She was delighted to bealbe to spend the extra time with you and your girls. Hopefully we can get AliBellie down their for a visit.
Sending lots of love your way.
KJ

Sue Johnson said...

test

Sue Johnson said...

Good afternoon Fuhrmans...freeeezzziiinnnnngggg cold here today. I agree, Minnesotans do love the FIRST half of winter. Loved the pictures. Would love to be there to see the sunrise. Coffee and chocolate pie. Two of my favorites. Only a great man could love a cat. Sorry cat lovers! We will think of you at Christmas...
love,
Sue and Ed

Deb Leks said...

Marcus, was stunned to hear from Michelle Hooker you were in the cancer mode! So sorry...what a horrible disease but I've never met another with a better attitude or stronger will! You are in my prayers and the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd's prayer list!

Hard to see your "lucky charms" house sitting empty - but nice, as I streak through the dining room! Hope your holiday brings peace,
Deb Leksell

Jules said...

Marcus,
Oh, how I love to read your writing.But it's your strong spirit and overpowering strength that keeps me smiling through my tears when those quiet moments hit me. I've been listening to a song over and over by Bette Midler, "waking skies at sunrise, every sunset, too, seem to be bringing me memories of you." How true that is. You're never far from my heart when I watch sunrise here in the garden room or a sunset from the deck where we've laughed so often (and even caught the new BBQ on fire). So, my brother, my friend...have a wonderful two days with Peter and Richard. I'll be seeing you soooooooooon. Adios com amor!
Julie

MsRolewski said...

Visiting "marcus" every day and just love seeing the great big smile pics...Lots and lots of love to all :)

Joe Fred said...

Hey, Marcus. Frost covers the droopy branches this morning in central Iowa, but the sun is out, and the sky is blue, so before long the white flakes will fall to the ground and flash in the sunlight, easing the burden of the trees. Somehow, it seems appropriate to share that image with you. Hang in there, dude. I'm thinking of you and the family.
Peace,
Joe Doolittle

TT said...

To all you "Blog-hogs" out there....just to let you know (in case you didn't already), our good friend Marcus, (in addition to being "Rubberband Man" of the English Language according to Harley-Charley) is also a closet chair-dancing, high-flying, Christmas-bow wearing,chick-magnet social butterfly type dude that never gives up on a good time. But then......that's all "normal", isn't it? And Peggy just shakes her head and chuckles.
Oh, and I'm thinkin' that Harley Charley has a little "Gumby-Guy" goin' on with his words, too. Must be a family thing....
"Normally" Yours,
-TT

Elaine Gardiner said...

Hi Marcus, Like so many others I feel how wonderful it is to read your amazing prose. While I drink tea instead of coffee and really like dogs instead of cats, we certainly connect when it comes to pie...and chocolate..WOW! We also connect with the knowledge that it is more difficult for those who watch. That's how I felt dealing with the ovarian cancer I had. I guess that may be "normal"...whatever that is!
Hey, I understand you will be going to a warmer climate soon. Enjoy, enjoy! And remember if you shouldn't drink the water, I guess that means you will need to drink the beer! Prayers continue. Love from SLO, Elaine Gardiner

Unknown said...

Marcus, I'm savoring the sunrises at the ranch house. It was awesome, watching sun and moon rise over Navajo Mountain for Christmas, and a majorly righteous joy to be surprised by Julie and Paul on Christmas Eve! Peg, Mandy, W & A, and the Ankrum sibs and better halves..so much love shoved into a handful of days. And I've pics to prove it, I'll send you this weekend. Of course, there was also..."what happens in Las Vegas, stays in Las Vegas." don't ask.

xo! More later, m'dears.
Patty